Accounting For Business Decisions MBA Syllabus Pune University. This is new revised syllabus for Academic Year 2013 – 14.
Subject Name: Accounting For Business Decisions
Subject Type: Generic Core
Subject Code: 101
Distribution of Marks: 50 (External Written) 20 (External Online Exam) 30 (Internal Marks by College)
Unit 1 Basic Concepts:
Overview of Financial Accounting, Cost Accounting and Management Accounting, Role of each in a business organization, Relationship between financial, cost and management accounting, Various concepts and conventions of financial accounting, Basics of cost accounting, Role of management accounting in the global business environment.( 7 + 2 )
Unit 2 Understanding of Financial Statements:
Financial statements of proprietary and partnership organizations, Financial statements of limited companies, schedule VIth of Companies Act, Objectives of financial statements.( 6 + 2 )
Unit 3 Cost Accounting:
Basic concepts of Cost Accounting, Classification and analysis of Costs, Relevant and irrelevant costs, differential costs, sunk costs, objectives of Cost Accounting, preparation of Cost Sheets. ( 6+2 )
Unit 4 Cost Control:
Elements of costs, Material cost control, Procurement,Pricing of issues, Inventory control techniques, fixation of various levels , Economic Order Quantity, material losses , labour cost control , time keeping and time booking ,labour turnover , overheads , collection, classification, absorption of overheads.( 8+2 )
Unit 5 Decision making tools:
Marginal costing, Make or buy , Optimizing product mix , Break-even point , Cost Volume Profit Analysis, Pricing decisions, budgeting – Cash, flexible and functional budgets. Variance Analysis – Material and Labour Cost Variances. ( 8+2 )
1 Numerical Problems will be asked on the following topics:
• Pricing of issues – FIFO, LIFO, Simple Average and Weighted Average methods
• Allocation, Apportionment and Absorption of overheads.
• Decision Making tools – optimizing product mix, make or buy, acceptance of export order and other Decision Making areas.
• Computation of breakeven point and related areas.
• Budgeting – cash and flexible.
• Computation of material and labour variances
2 Weightage of Theory Questions will be 40% and numerical problems will carry 60% marks in the final question paper.
• Management Accounting – Dr. Mahesh Kulkarni
• Accounting For Business Decisions by Dr. E B Khedkar and D B Bharati
• Financial Cost and Management Accounting – P Periasamy
• Management Accounting- Madhu Vij
• Fundamentals of Management Accounting – H. V Jhamb
• Cost and Management Accounting – M N Arora
• Financial Accounting for Managers – Mr. Sanjay Dhmija, Pearson Publications
• Management Accounting – Mr. Anthony Atkinson, Robert Kaplan, Pearson
• Management Accounting – Mr. Khan and Mr. Jain, Tata McGraw Hill
• Financial Accounting part I – Mr. S. N. Maheshwari
• Accounting For Management-Jawarhar Lal
Supplementary Reading Material
• Management Accounting – Mr. Ravi Kishore
• Accounting for Managers – Dearden and Bhattacharya
• Institute of Cost Accountants,
• Institute of Chartered Accountants
• Indian Journal of Finance