This is the syllabus of Basics of Marketing i.e. BOM for MBA Students of Pune University. This is revised Syllabus of MBA from Academic year 2013-14 and applicable for Academic year 2o14 – 2015.
Subject Name: Basics of Marketing (BOM)
Subject Type: Generic Core
Subject Code: 106
Distribution of Marks: 50 (External Written) 20 (External Online Exam) 30 (Internal Marks by College)
Unit 1 Introduction to Marketing
1.1 Definition & Functions of Marketing: Scope of Marketing, Core concepts of marketing such as Need, Want, Demand, Customer Value, Exchange, Customer & Consumer, Customer Satisfaction, Customer Delight, Customer Loyalty, Marketing v/s Market
1.2 Markets: Definition of Market, Competition, Key customer markets, Marketplaces, Market spaces, Metamarkets
1.3 Company Orientation towards Market Place: Product, Production, Sales, Marketing, Societal, Transactional, Relational, Holistic Marketing Orientation, Selling versus Marketing. Concept of Marketing Myopia.
1.4 Introduction to the Concept of Marketing Mix: Origin & Concept of Marketing Mix and Definitions of 7Ps.People, Processes & Physical Evidence
1.5 New Marketing Realities: Major Societal Forces, New Consumer Capabilities & New Company Capabilities. (10 + 2)
Unit 2 Consumer Behavior:
2.1 Meaning & importance of consumer behavior, Comparison between Organizational Buying behavior and consumer buying behavior, Buying roles.
2.2 Five steps buyer decision process (6 + 2)
Unit 3 Marketing Environment:
3.1 Concept of Environment: Macro and Micro, Need for analyzing the Marketing Environment
3.2 Macro Environment: Analyzing the Economic, Socio-cultural, Demographic, Political – Legal – Regulatory, Technical, Environmental environments.
3.3 Linkage of Marketing Function with all functions in the organization.
3.4 Concept of Market Potential & Market Share (6 + 2)
4 Segmentation, Target Marketing & Positioning:
4.1 Marketing as Value Delivery Process: Traditional & modern approaches
4.2 Segmentation: Definition, Need for segmentation, Benefits of segmentation to marketers, Bases for market segmentation of consumer goods & industrial goods, Criteria for effective segmentation.
4.3 Levels of Market Segmentation: Segment Marketing, Niche Marketing, Local Marketing, Mass Marketing.
4.4 Target Market : Concept of Target Market and criteria for selection of target market
4.5 Positioning: Concept of Differentiation &Positioning, Introduction to the concepts of Value proposition & USP. ( 8 + 2)
Unit 5 Product – The First Element of Marketing Mix:
5.1 Product :Meaning of product, Goods & Services Continuum, Classification of consumer products – Convenience, Shopping, Specialty, Unsought, classification of industrial products – material & parts, capital items, supplies & services
5.2Product Levels: The customer value hierarchy
5.3 Product Mix: Width, Depth, Consistency & Product line. ( 5 + 2 )
• Marketing Management – Philip Kotler, Kevin Lane Keller, Abraham Koshy, Mithileshwar Jha, Pearson , 13thEdition
• Marketing Management, Rajan Saxena, TMGH, 4th Edition
• Marketing by Lamb Hair Sharma, Mc Daniel Cengage Learning 2012
• Principles of Marketing – Philip Kotler, Gary Armstrong, Prafulla Agnihotri,Ehasan Haque, Pearson, 13thEdition
• Marketing Management- Text and Cases, Tapan K Panda, 2nd Edition, Excel Books
• Marketing Management, Ramaswamy & Namakumari, Macmillan, 4th Edition.
• Marketing Management Concept & Cases – S.A.Sherlekar
• Marketing Management – Karunakaran
• Marketing Management – Bose
Supplementary Reading Material
• Marketing Whitebook (Latest Edition)
• Brand Equity Supplement of The Economic Times
• Brand Wagon Supplement of The Financial Express
• Strategist Supplement of Business Standard
Websites NCAER –
• http://www.ncaer.org/2011 Census of India Reports –
• http://www.marketingpower.com/Pages/default.aspx (American Marketing Association)
• IIMB Management Review