Management Fundamentals Syllabus MBA Pune University for Academic Year 2013 -14
Subject Name: Management Fundamentals
Subject Type: Generic Elective (Sem I) Internal Subject
Subject Code: 107
Distribution of Marks: 50 (Internal Marks by College)
Unit 1 Introduction to Principles of Management:
1.1 Basic Concepts: Definition of Management, Contribution of F.W.Taylor, Henri Fayol, Elton Mayo, Mary Parker Follet, Rensis Likert, Chestard Bernard, Douglas McGregor, Peter Drucker, Michael Porter and C.K. Prahlad
1.2 Approaches to Management: Scientific Approach, Systems Approach and Contingency Approach.
1.3 Managerial Competencies: Communication, team work, planning and administrative, strategic and global competencies; ( 6 + 1 )
Unit 2 Organization
2.1 Organization: Formal and Informal, Line and staff relationship, Centralization Vs. decentralization, Basic issues in organizing, work specialization, chain of common delegation, span of management, Organization Structure – bases for departmentation.
2.2 Organizational Culture: Cultural Diversity, Multi Ethnic Workforce, Organizing Knowledge resource. ( 6 + 1 )
Unit 3 Planning
3.1 Planning: Nature & elements of planning, planning types and models, planning in learning organizations; Types, Steps, MBO, MBE, Planning Premises.
3.2 Decision Making: Risk and Uncertainty, Decision Trees, Decision making process, models of decision making, increasing participation in decision making, decision-making creativity. ( 5 + 1 )
Unit 4 Controlling
4.1 Controlling: Process, Standards and Bench Marking – Co-ordination- Principles of Co-ordination-Inter-dependence. ( 4 + 1 )
Unit 5 Challenges in management:
5.1 Challenges in Management: Change Management -Timing of Change- Reaction to change-Planning organizational Change-Technological Change- Effective use of Communication Devices and IT. ( 4 + 1 )
• Fundamentals of Management by Robbins, S.P. and Decenzo, D.A., Pearson Education Asia, Delhi.
• Management by Koontz and Wechrich, TMGH
• Management by Stoner, et. al., Prentice Hall of India, New Delhi.
• Management by Hellregel, Thomson Learning, Bombay
• Management by Robbins & Coulter, Prentice Hall of Hall of India, New Delhi.
• Management – Text & Cases by Satya Raju, PHI, New Delhi.
• Management by Richard L. Draft, Thomson South-Western
Supplementary Reading Material
• The Frontiers of Management by Peter Drucker, Harvard Business Review Press.
• The Definitive Drucker by Elizabeth Haas Edersheim, TMGH.
• Technology, Management and Society by Peter Drucker, Harvard Business Review Press.
• The Drucker Lectures: Essential Lessons on Management, Society and Economy Edited by Rick Wartzman, TMGH.
• The Five Minds of a Manager by Gosling, Jonathan; Mintzberg, Henry. Harvard Business Review, Nov2003, Vol. 81 Issue 11