Management Information Systems (MIS) Question Bank with Answers Hint
1. Define System. Discuss any three System characteristics. Explain why ’Feedback’ and ‘Control’ are considered the ‘Key system concepts’?
Hint for Answer:
a) Definition of system, block diagram
b) Any three characteristics
c) Feedback loop with diagram
2. Define & explain the term MIS. State its objectives
a) Definition: any 2
b) Objectives (6 points)
3. Explain the use of information for competitive advantage
Ans: Explain how information from MIS can be used in different functional areas (Accounting, Finance, HR, Sales, Production) & in different levels for attaining competitive advantage.
4. Why is MIS looked upon as a strategic need of management today?
5. Short Notes
a) Need of MIS
b) Importance of computer in MIS / Impact of IT in MIS/ Role of computer in MIS
1. Explain various types of Information
a) Strategic info b) Tactical info c) Operational info
d) Action and Non-action info e) Recurring & Non-recurring info
f) Internal & External info g) Control info h) Knowledge info
2. Explain the concept of Decision Making. Describe Herbert Simon’s model of Decision-making.
3. Explain various methods to collect data (fact-finding techniques)
Explain these techniques: Interview, Questionnaire, Observation, Record Review, and Sampling
4. Define Information. Elaborate the characteristics of quality information
Ans: a) Definition of information
a) Dimensions & parameters of information
5. Short Notes
a) Value of information
b) Attributes of Information
1. Define Computer Network. Networking constituents and advantages of Networking/ Networks, with suitable examples.
b) Constituents: Nodes, Access path, protocol, server, N/w OS, Gateways, Modem, Router, Switch etc
c) Name the Network Media: Coaxial cable, Unshielded twisted pair etc
d) Connectors: RJ 45, Fiber Optic
e) Advantages: Share resources, Simultaneous access to data file by multiple users, Instantaneous communication between users
f) examples: Automatic Teller Machine (ATM), SMS, Internet Phone, e-Mail, File transfer, File Server (Keeping a file in one place and using it at another), Database Access (A central database which is used remotely) etc
2. Explain the different types of Network
e) Back-Bone Network
3. What is network topology? Explain various topologies with diagrams.
4. Define IT. Discuss IT capabilities and their organizational impacts
5. Short notes
b) Content Development
e) Medical Transcription
1. Define DBMS. Define Primary key, foreign key.
2. What do you mean by normalized database? Explain the 3 normal forms of E.F Codd with examples.
3. Describe the concept & architecture of Data Warehousing/ discuss the need of Data Warehousing in modern business
4. Explain the term ‘data mining’? Describe various data mining techniques.
5. What is Data mining? State its advantages & disadvantages.
6. How DBMS is superior to conventional file processing system? List out the salient features of DBMS.
7. Design database for wholesale Grocery shop.
8. Design Database for Petrol bunk
9. Design Database for Dairy farm
10. Design database for Wholesale Timbar Information & Distribution System.
Describe the phases of System Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
1. Waterfall model (linear sequential model)
2. Define Prototype. State its features. Explain the advantages & disadvantages of prototyping.
3. Spiral Model
5. Short Notes
a. CASE Tools
1. Distinguish between MIS & DSS
2. Define ES. Explain its components with a diagram.
3. Define EIS. Explain its characteristics
4. Define and compare MIS and EIS. Explain the internal and external factors necessitating EIS.
5. Define ESS. How ESS is supportive for MIS in any organization? Explain
6. Short Notes
a. DSS b) AI c) EIS d) Advantages & limitations of ES
e) ES Vs Conventional Systems
1. What is Information Security & Control? State its objectives
2. Explain how one can provide Information Security and Control to MIS.
3. State the Ethical & Social Issues/ Dimensions in MIS
4. What is Copyright protection? Explain its relevance in Computer applications.
5. Short Notes
a. Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) b) QA
APPLICATIONS OF MIS
1. In managing the business of a restaurant what are some decisions that must be made in the areas of
a) Strategic planning b) Managerial control c) Operational control
2. A mobile company has decided to computerize its operations.
a. Draw Data Entry Screen for generating Bill
b. Prepare service wise customer report c) Prepare format of Pending Bill.
3. For a dealer of electrical products for Pune district
a. Draw Customer Order input form
i. Product wise sales report
ii. Area wise sales report
4. Draw the following report layouts & explain their use in planning & decision making.
a. Pending Sales order
b. Product wise sales (periodical basis)
c. Product wise rejection analysis
5. The pay section of M/s Jai Hind Associates computes salary of employees on computer on monthly basis. It receives employee details from H/R dept., attendance details from Office and deductions from a/c dept.
a) Draw CLD
b) Data Entry Screen
2. Employee Details
c) Report layouts
1. Pay slip of employee
2. Employee wise attendance for a month