Marketing Management Syllabus MBA Pune university for Academic year 2013-14
Subject Name: Marketing Management
Subject Type: Generic Core ( External Subject for Sem II)
Subject Code: 201
Distribution of Marks: 50 (External Written) 20 (External Online Exam) 30 (Internal Marks by College)
Unit 1 New Product Development & Product Life Cycle:
1.1 New Product Development :Need for new product development, Booz Allen &Hamilton Classification Scheme for New Products
1.2 New Product Development Process: Idea Generation to commercialization.
1.3 Branding: Introduction to Branding, Product Vs. Brand, Meaning of a brand, brand equity & brand elements.
1.4 Packaging & Labeling: Meaning & role of Packaging & Labeling, Primary, Secondary & Shipment packages
1.5 Product Life Cycle: Concept & characteristics of Product Life Cycle, Relevance of PLC, Types of PLC and Strategies across stages of the PLC. (7 + 2)
Unit 2 Price:
2.1Pricing Basics: Meaning, Importance and Factors influencing pricing decisions
2.2Setting the Price: Setting pricing objectives, Determining demand, Estimating costs, Analyzing competitors’ pricing, Selecting pricing method, Selecting final price.
2.3Adapting the Price: Geographical pricing, Price discounts & allowances, Promotional pricing, Differentiated pricing,
2.4Price Change: Initiating & responding to price changes. ( 6 + 2 )
Unit 3 Place:
3.1 The Role of Marketing Channels: Channel functions & flows, channel levels.
3.2 Channel Design Decisions: Analyzing customers’ desired service output levels, establishing objectives &constraints, Identifying & evaluating major channel alternatives
3.3 Channel Options: Introduction to Wholesaling, Retailing, Franchising, Direct marketing E- Commerce Marketing Practices
3.4 Market Logistics Decisions: Order processing, Warehousing, Inventory, & Transportation.(6+2)
Unit 4 Promotion:
4.1Introduction: The role of marketing communications in marketing effort.
4.2Communication Mix Elements: Introduction to Advertising, Sales Promotion, Personal Selling, Public Relations, Direct Marketing. Concept of Integrated Marketing Communications (IMC)
4.3Developing Effective Communication: Identifying target audience, determining communication objectives, designing the communications, selecting communication channels
4.4Deciding Marketing Communications Mix: Factors in setting marketing communication mix, measuring communication results (10 + 2)
Unit 5 Marketing Planning & Control:
5.1Product Level Planning: Preparation & evaluation of a product level marketing plan, Nature & contents of Marketing Plans- Executive Summary, Situation Analysis, Marketing Strategy, Financials, Control.
5.2 Marketing Evaluation & Control: Concept, Process & types of control – Annual Plan Control, Profitability Control, Efficiency Control, Strategic Control, Marketing audit. (6 + 2)
• Marketing Management by Philip Kotler, Kevin Lane Keller, Abraham Koshy, Mithileshwar Jha, Pearson , 13thEdition
• Marketing Management by Rajan Saxena, TMGH, 4th Edition
• Principles of Marketing by Philip Kotler, Gary Armstrong, Prafulla Agnihotri, Ehasan Haque, Pearson, 13thEdition
• Marketing Management- Text and Cases, Tapan K Panda, 2nd Edition, Excel Books
• Marketing Management by Ramaswamy & Namakumari, Macmillan, 4th Edition.
Supplementary Reading Material
• Marketing Whitebook (Latest Edition)
• Brand Equity Supplement of The Economic Times
• Brand Wagon Supplement of The Financial Express
• Strategist Supplement of Business Standard
• Legends in Marketing by Jagdish N. Sheth
• NCAER – http://www.ncaer.org/
• 2011 Census of India Reports – http://www.censusindia.gov.in/
• ASCI – www.ascionline.org/
• http://www.marketingpower.com/Pages/default.aspx (American Marketing Association)
• IIMB Management Review