Savitribai Phule Pune University (SPPU), formerly known as Pune University, has updated syllabus in 2019 for a two-year full-time MBA course. Now Pune University offers 8 specializations (5 Major & 3 Minor specializations). Management Department of Pune University (PUMBA), as well as other affiliated colleges & institutes, can offer these MBA specializations depend upon no. of students opted for the specialization. Students can apply for dual specialization during or after completion of a two-year full-time MBA course. Students are free to choose any specialization for dual or additional MBA specialization from the list given below.
Specializations offered (2019 Pattern)
The following specializations shall be offered as MAJOR / MINOR:
1. Marketing Management (MKT)
2. Financial Management (FIN)
3. Human Resources Management (HRM)
4. Operations & Supply Chain Management (OSCM)
5. Business Analytics (BA)
The following specializations shall be offered ONLY as MINOR Specializations:
1. Rural & Agribusiness Management (RABM)
2. Pharma & Healthcare Management (PHM)
3. Tourism & Hospitality Management (THM)
1. Institutes may offer ONLY SELECT specializations based on industry needs, faculty strength & competencies, student demands, employability potential, etc.
2. Institutes MAY NOT offer a specialization if a minimum of 20% of students is not registered for that specialization.
3. The Institute MAY NOT offer an elective course if a minimum of 20% of students is not registered for that elective course.
Major Specialization + Minor Specialization Combination:
1. For a Major + Minor Specialization combination the learner shall complete
a) Major Specialization – Courses: Total 9 (4 Subject Core courses and 5 Subject Elective courses)
b) Minor Specialization – Courses: Total 4 (2 Subject Core courses and 2 Subject Elective courses)
2. For a Major + Minor Specialization combination the learner shall earn
a) Major Specialization – Credits: Total 22 (12 Credits from Subject Core + Minimum 10 Credits from
b) Minor Specialization – Credits: Total 10 (6 Credits from Subject Core + Minimum 4 Credits from Subject Electives)
3. The 10 credits of the MINOR specialization shall be from a single specialization, out of which 6 credits shall be mandatorily earned through the Subject Core Courses.
4. The Major + Minor specialization combination is OPTIONAL.
5. Students shall be permitted to opt for ANY Major + ANY Minor specialization combination, subject to institutional norms and guidelines, issued from time to time.
6. A student opting for Major + Minor specialization combination shall opt for Foundation Courses / Enrichment Courses / Alternative Study Credit Courses ONLY in lieu of Generic Elective (GE – IL) Courses.
7. Institutes may stipulate additional criteria of minimum SGPA / CGPA, number of backlogs, expectations about specific graduation discipline for students who wish to take up a specific specialization / specific major-minor
combination. Such criteria may also involve the potential employability criteria for a particular specialization / Major + Minor specialization combination.
Options & Guidelines for Choice of Specialization:
1. Students can opt for a single specialization (i.e. Major Only – 5 choices)
2. Students can opt for two specializations (i.e. Major + Minor Combination – 1(Major) + 7(Minor) choices)
3. Specializations which are offered ONLY as MINOR shall be offered in the SECOND YEAR ONLY. (3 choices)
4. Courses for the Minor specialization shall be taken up in the second year ONLY (in either Sem III or Sem IV or in a combination of Sem III and IV).
5. The Major specialization of a student shall be determined by the Subject Core (SC) courses and the Subject Elective (SE – IL) courses chosen in Sem II.
6. All courses (Subject Core (SC) courses and the Subject Elective (SE – IL) courses) chosen in Sem II shall belong to the same specialization.
7. The learners shall generally complete 6 Subject Core courses (2 each in semester II, III, IV) and 7 Subject Elective courses (2, 3, 2 each in semester II, III, IV respectively). In this case, he /she shall be awarded MBA
(Functional Area Specialization) degree, e.g. MBA (Marketing), MBA (Finance), etc.
8. The learners shall complete 4 Subject Core courses and 5 Subject Elective courses of Major specialization and 2 Subject Core courses and 2 Subject Elective courses of Minor specialization. In this case, he /she shall be
awarded MBA (Functional Area Specialization Major + Functional Area Specialization Minor) degree, e.g. MBA (Marketing + Finance), etc.
MBA Specializations (2016 Pattern)
Below is the list of Specializations shall be offered by PUMBA & Pune University affiliated institutes/colleges for 2016 pattern syllabus.
- Marketing Management (MKT)
- Financial Management (FIN)
- Information Technology Management (IT)
- Operations Management (OPE)
- Human Resources Management (HR)
- International Business Management (IB)
- Supply Chain Management (SCM)
- Rural &Agribusiness Management (RABM)
- Family Business Management (FBM)
- Technology Management (TM)
- Banking and Insurance Management (BIM)
- Healthcare Management (HM)
- Entrepreneurship Development (ED)
- Services Management (SM)
- Retail Management (RM)
- Digital Media & Communication Marketing(MC)
- Tourism and Hospitality Management (THM)
- Defence Management (DM)
Above said specializations (2016 pattern) are applicable for both –
- Regular MBA (2 Years) and
- Additional specialization i.e. Dual Specialization (1 Year).