We have received requests to provide some guidelines to solve case studies in Marketing, HRM, finance and other subjects. Here we are giving steps for solving a case study to answer the questions :How to solve case study?” We hope this will help you to solve case studies in exam and also in real life.
Steps to solve case study
1. Read the case carefully
2. Become familiar with the topic character/leading player
3. Form an idea about the basic problem/objective.
4. Read it again & make a mode of the basic problem/objectives it should contain.Important & relevant facts, having a bearing on the problem & the objectives.
5. Mention the Statements which would help define the problem more accurately help set goals and nature of decisions required.
6. Understand the environment in which the case is set by noting down constraint, opportunities resources etc.
7. You may have real life problem which will have seldom all the information or adequate time at his disposal,.
8. Identify the shortfall of information & make realistic assumption in the light of environment. You should develop the skill of taking time bound decisions
Steps for solving a case study in Nutshell
Identify possible alternative of attaining the objective. Evaluate cause and effect of each alternative i.e. think about the outcome of each action /alternative .
Work in the classroom.
The Syndicate approach
The problem (to understand properly)
Background of the case
Possible solution & their evaluation.
Solution I merits & demerits solution 2 merits & demerits
Selection of the best possible solution.
Management principles applied.